Thursday 17 March 2011

National Galleries and Exhibitions

Sometimes we go to exhibitions, where it is easier to learn more about one artist, one type of art, or one theme in art.  One night in mid January, mom and I walked to National Portrait Gallery, where we met Dad for an evening at the museum.  Dad and I peeled off to go to the Thomas Lawrence exhibition.  We saw many cool paintings, including one of Charles William Lambton sitting by the sea with a far-off look in his eyes, as if he wanted adventure.  There was also a painting with a boy and a group of children.  I drew just the boy, and I felt I was the boy, thought his thoughts, felt the weight of the broom he held, and wore his velvet playsuit.

Thomas Lawrence, Charles William Lambton, 1825 (private collection) ("Isn't he dreamy?")
After the exhibition, we went to a drawing session.  There we drew a sculpture of T. S. Eliot, but in different ways.  We did a hand-never-leaves-paper drawing (HNLP); a HNLP drawing not looking at our paper; a HNLP drawing with our opposite hand (for me, left); a drawing only using the top of the pencil; and a drawing using two pencils.  They all came out funny!

One week later, we went to the National Portrait Gallery again and to the drop in drawing; but this time, dad joined too.  After that, mom stayed to draw more, and dad and I went to the National Gallery (just across the street) and saw some van Gogh paintings, which I really liked.  Dad says that if you listen very carefully and it is very quiet in the gallery, you can hear a van Gogh painting:  the grass swaying, the wind blowing through the trees, and even the stars twinkling.   Next we met mom and looked at some Early Netherlandish (Dutch) and Renaissance painting.  Then, finally, I drew things from one of my favorite sets of paintings, The Four Elements, by Joachim Beuckelaer (I drew from the "Fire" element).

Conclusion:  I love Friday nights in London!

Vincent van Gogh, Long Grass with Butterflies, 1890 (National Gallery) ("Hey, where are the butterflies?")

No comments:

Post a Comment