Saturday 2 April 2011

Modern London

I:  The Saatchi Gallery

On another January Sunday (23/1), I went for my usual run with dad.  After that, we made plans to meet Andrew, Emma, Stephanie and Doug Smith, friends of ours also living in London for the year.  The Saatchi is a museum-size gallery of contemporary art.  We explored the galleries on our own, since A, E, S, and D only came to eat lunch and left after eating.  In the galleries we saw one sculpture called The Piano Lesson made out of all sorts of  media; it made a "visual pun" (Dad calls it) by hanging a house "key" off one part of the sculpture (get it:  piano "key"!).  I also remember the work of a woman who used pictures of her family when they were children and then staged similar pictures with her family members as adults (brother, mother, sister, herself, and so on). To help you understand the exhibition, they had on the top floor pictures of all the artists.  Finally, there were also some cool art works by kids, which was fascinating and inspiring.  It was very nice.
Clarisse d'Arcimoles Petit Roi (My Brother) 2009 at the Saatchi.

II: Tate Modern

The very next Sunday, dad and I went for … another run!  After breakfast, we all headed out to meet Marta (Dad's colleague), Bruno, Cecilia, and Isadora at the Tate Modern, a modern museum of modern art.  I hung out with M, I, and C, ate a bit of lunch and had a hot cocoa, while my parents watched a film that Bruno had made [ed:  about David Hockney].  Then dad, Ceci, and I went to the galleries to look at some art, including pink cow wallpaper (by Andy Warhol) and a block of wood that had been carved into a tree!  Next, we went to the members lounge, where M, I, and B were hanging out.  We got another hot chocolate!

Two conclusions:  While I am not so fond of contemporary architecture, I do like modern and contemporary art.  And when I look at modern and contemporary art, I get ideas for my own pieces, which I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment